Search This Blog

Monday, November 21, 2011

The Review Is In...

The review has been finished. It isn't great and it contains a spoiler which is kind of major but it's out there. Whatever. I agree with her that it is definitely a first novel and all that entails. It's a little rougher than most because it's a first. However she spends about a third of the review complaining about the cover being plain and her inability to get over certain characters, like gods and monsters, having different type faces. The first one I actually had little control over but okay. The second complaint is...interesting seeing as how I am not the only or first author to do so. Tamora Pierce, for example, does the exact same thing.

But, when it gets down to the nitty gritty, she generally likes my book. She thinks it should go slower (although I think the speed is great. I hate drawn out books. Mine takes a few breaths to deal with subplots which is what an adventure fantasy should do. Just a different opinion which is what I wanted from this review.) but she likes the characters, the "lovingly imagined locale" and believes I have promise. 3 out of 5 stars. Grand.

I've been kind of blase about the review. I read it to my sister though who just went "Wow, that's condescending," about a couple of things. All in all, Rissa is taking the review personally and she didn't even write the book. Hah. Silly supportive sister. Alright. Off to get a milkshake and see my honorary brother, Philip, who will probably be as ridiculously supportive as Rissa.

Ms. Sylvester, the author of the review, if you for some reason see this I want to thank you for taking the time to review my book. I appreciate your perspective! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment